Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM 4.2 client install on 2003 sp2 server

Mel Popple
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed the Cisco Security Manager 4.2 client on to a Windows 2003 sp2 terminal server running on ESX?

I have full admin privileges to the server and have put the terminal server in to 'install' mode but I get the following error:

The Installer Cannot Be Run On this System.

You may not have Administrative Privilege or the System

may not have Required Configuration. It will now quit.

I have tried to install the software via the TS client and also from the ESX console but get the same error either way. I am a member of the local admin group on the server and have also tried to run it using the admin account but still no luck.

I have downloaded the setup file to the local TS drive and I'm running it from there.

Is it even possible to install it on a terminal server? I thought it was recommended to do this if the CSM client (when installed on the admin's desktop) and CSM server were to be some distance apart to avoid latency issues.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated - Please don't tell me the client can only be installed in either US English or Japanese Locale settings like the server!

Regards

Mel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry to confirm the bad news. Please see the Installation Guide Client Requirements. Quoting:

"One of the following:

Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Windows 7 Enterprise Edition—64-bit and 32-bit.

Windows 2008 Enterprise Server (Service Pack 2)—64-bit only.

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Server—64-bit.

Note Security Manager supports only the U.S. English and Japanese versions of Windows. From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel for Windows, open the panel where you configure region and language settings, then set the default locale. (We do not support English as the language in any Japanese version of Windows.)"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry to confirm the bad news. Please see the Installation Guide Client Requirements. Quoting:

"One of the following:

Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Windows 7 Enterprise Edition—64-bit and 32-bit.

Windows 2008 Enterprise Server (Service Pack 2)—64-bit only.

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Server—64-bit.

Note Security Manager supports only the U.S. English and Japanese versions of Windows. From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel for Windows, open the panel where you configure region and language settings, then set the default locale. (We do not support English as the language in any Japanese version of Windows.)"

Excellent, what a useless bit of software. Since Cisco is supposed to be a 'global' company you think they would be capable of writing software that is useful in more than two countries. The software developers should be sacked, I really would be interested in hear the technical reason it only works with those locales.

The CSM server I can handle being in a different locale but are they really expecting us to set all the management terminal servers and workstations to a foreign Locale to run the client - seems like a bloody good reason to migrate the infrastructure to other vendors offerings if this is the best they can do!

I even had a good chuckle when installing the server software - it tells you you can't install it in a directory with either a '(' or ')', yet defaults to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)' directory! Brilliant.

But thanks for the answer anyway, much appraciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card