Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM in Ciscoworks.

Hi,

I am setting up Device Fault Manager in Ciscoworks LMS 3.0.1

At the moment we used What's Up Gold (ping)to alert the Technical Support team if devices go down. As you can imagine, they get hundreds of email every day notifying them that these devices are going up and down etc...

As Ciscoworks can alert on more detailed information, I would like to setup alerts for the Technical Support team when devices goes down/crash/unreachable etc... using SNMP. Do these devices need any configuration on them to alert Ciscowork. They are already send syslogs to the Ciscoworks server. What settings will suffice for these devices going down?

Also, I more question, for the SNMP trap notification on the Ciscoworks server, what info do I need to put in here?

DFM version is 3.0.2

Thanks a million

Anthony.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, I strongly recommend you upgrade to DFM 3.0.3. There is a pretty serious issue which can cause all of LMS to fail if certain DLLs are installed on the system. This bug is fixed in DFM 3.0.3.

If you want to notify your operators based on syslog messages, then you can configure automated actions to do so under RME > Tools > Syslog > Automated Actions. Any time a matching syslog message is processed by RME, and email can be sent, or a script can be run.

While DFM can process some traps, it mainly relies on SNMP and ICMP polling to build its events. Therefore, as long as SNMP and ICMP connectivity exists between your server and your devices, you should be set. You can configure DFM notifications under DFM > Notification Services. I recommend that when configuring your Notification Group, you only check the radio buttons under Events. Events contain the specific details about a device fault. Alerts, contain a high-level roll-up of multiple events. DFM notifications can be sent as emails, traps, and/or syslogs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, I strongly recommend you upgrade to DFM 3.0.3. There is a pretty serious issue which can cause all of LMS to fail if certain DLLs are installed on the system. This bug is fixed in DFM 3.0.3.

If you want to notify your operators based on syslog messages, then you can configure automated actions to do so under RME > Tools > Syslog > Automated Actions. Any time a matching syslog message is processed by RME, and email can be sent, or a script can be run.

While DFM can process some traps, it mainly relies on SNMP and ICMP polling to build its events. Therefore, as long as SNMP and ICMP connectivity exists between your server and your devices, you should be set. You can configure DFM notifications under DFM > Notification Services. I recommend that when configuring your Notification Group, you only check the radio buttons under Events. Events contain the specific details about a device fault. Alerts, contain a high-level roll-up of multiple events. DFM notifications can be sent as emails, traps, and/or syslogs.

Hi,

Many thanks for your help on this one. I upgraded successfully to 3.0.3 and this works far better now.

One more question :)

I only want it to mail when a device goes down and comes back up, this mail will go to the Technical Support team. I have setup my email address during testing and it's mailing BackupActivated alerts etc.. I went into event sets and only ticked the following in the attachment and set the notification group.

Do you have to setup all the multilink interfaces, uplink etc.. to a group and just report on the group.

I hope all this makes sense. Ciscowork is seriously frustrating and I would love to throw it out the window :)

Thanks a million for your help

Anthony.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card