cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discover unkown client on network consuming 50% bandwidth on 3rd shift

zzbronski
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing a bandwidth spike at around 2:40am every morning that lasts for about 10 mintues but I can't remember how to find what the device is that is causing it. I have a Fluke Optiview II network analyzer connected to the network but it only shows me the top hosts on the current vlan. It has been a few years since I did this and just need a refresher on how to configure the port on the switch so it sees all traffic from all vlans and switches so I can identify the culprit. I am pretty sure it was a debug command.

2 Replies 2

Todd Pula
Level 7
Level 7

On most Cisco switches, you can enable a feature called SPAN which will allow you to replicate port or VLAN traffic to a destination port.  Please refer to the doc below for some configuration samples.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

You course also leverage Netflow to get information about connections and thus find top talkers and where the bw is spent.

I hope it helps.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: