Views
Helpful
Replies

discriminate between syslog messages -> targets

gibrice
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I might be trying to do the impossible here, but I am trying to get my ASA 8.2(1) to send certain syslog messages to one host and other messages to another host.

By default we are using facility 23 as our logging facility.  Logging trap is set to informational and there are 2 hosts that I am logging to.  Both host are receiving all the informational messages that are being sent.  One of the hosts is being overwelmed by the amount of traffic.  This host only needs to receive the syslog message 111008, and no others. I have been trying to figure out how to send only this one message to the host, but syslog seems to be an all or nothing proposition.  Any ideas?  Regardless of what I come up with, it always seems that all hosts receive whatever I configure.  I can't seem to define syslog traffic on a per target basis. 

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are right. You can't define 2 syslog servers to send 2 different list of syslog messages. However, you can define seperate list of syslog messages, and send 1 list to syslog server, and send another list to buffer for example.

Here is the example for your reference:

logging list 111008-list message 111008

logging list the-rest-list message 101001-111007
logging list the-rest-list message 111009-742010

logging buffered 111008-list

logging trap the-rest-list

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card