cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distributing VPN Clients

rmerritt
Level 1
Level 1

My hospital is rolling out more VPNs and this time it is going to vendors that I have no control over. Is there a way to tie the VPN client installation to a MAC address? I have not been able to find it.

I am hoping that it is possible so I can distribute clients to specific PCs. We do not want to send a CD that can be installed on any box. The user would still have to authenticate but I like to know where my traffic is coming from.

4 Replies 4

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Merritt,

At this time there is no way to tie the VPN Client installation to the MAC address, but you can definately put the Client on a site with only certain username/password access it, that way not everyone will have access to download and run it on there PCs.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Aamir Waheed,

Cisco Systems, Inc.

-=-=-

Thanks Aamir. I know how to do the username/password but when you have to give it to 20 personnel at one site, the administration gets to be crazy. I cannot talk our boss into going with the 3002. My preferred solution.

Can he use certificates to accomplish the same results? Can something be embedded into a Certificate that make it usable on select machines?

I will look into certificates. I don't have a lot of experience with them but I know how to do research.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card