Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Enabling SSH and disabling Telnet

I am trying to enable SSH on a 3560G switch so I can disable Telnet.

Some have mentioned to do an "sh ssh" to see if I have ssh on the switch. It doesn't show. I also have done "transport input ssh" and ssh isn't a valid input method.

So I decided to upgrade the IOS on the switch. I am now at 12.2(52) SE.

But I still cannot configure SSH. I get the same results as mentioned above.

Since this is the latest version of IOS can I not assume that it contains SSH? Or do I need to download a different version of IOS that specifically has SSH in it?

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Enabling SSH and disabling Telnet

There are two versions of Catalyst Switch images (K9/SSH and WIthout SSH). If you do a 'show versi
on' it will display the current version of the IOS running on the switch. If you are running a non-ssh version, you need to upgrade to a ssh (K9) image.

Regards

Farrukh

4 REPLIES

There are two versions of Catalyst Switch images (K9/SSH and WIthout SSH). If you do a 'show versi
on' it will display the current version of the IOS running on the switch. If you are running a non-ssh version, you need to upgrade to a ssh (K9) image.

Regards

Farrukh

I am at 12.2(52) SE. I downloaded it as a .TAR file.

I see now, I downloaded the wrong file.

Thanks for your help

Yup, you need a K9/CRYPTO image, e.g:

c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

You can use the feature nagivator to search for images with 'Secure Shell' support:

www.cisco.com/go/fn

It can be either .tar or .bin does not matter. The .tar image includes the web-gui files (alongwith the .bin IOS image) and does not affect the SSH capability.

Regards

Farrukh

That's a handy site. Didn't know it existed.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies