cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Explanation of basic SSH commands?

shahriaruddin
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, I'm studying for my CCNA and needed some help understanding the function of some basic ssh commands. In simple English if possible I'm very new to networking in general. ip domain-name - What does the command actually do why do we need this for SSH to work? login local - after using the "transport input ssh" command i was told to use this command, what does it mean and what does it do? One last thing, when on an end device command prompt what does the " -l " mean? i.e. PC> ssh -l user 192.168.1.1 Thanks.
1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ip domain-name command assigns the host (device) a domain name to more precisely identify it. The FQDN (hostname + domain-name) is used by the device when you generate a local RSA host key which is a prerequisite for running secure shell (ssh) as it is used to encrypt the traffic.

The "-l" is simply a way to specify the username to use when initiating an ssh client session from the device. See the command reference here. (By the way on NX-OS we use "ssh username@server".)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card