cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to copy file to ASA 5505 from PC with console?

ticketreturn
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upload a new version of ASDM to my device, so that it will work with the ASA software.

I tried using a TFTP server on my PC, but received an error.

I connected to the ASA with the console cable & since I'm running Win7, I used Putty & a serial connection. Once connected to the ASA I logged-in & issued a Copy TFTP Flash command. I supplied the IP address of the PC & the file name in the TFTP server, which was running on port 69.

In trying to determine the problem, I noticed that I was unable to ping the PC, which explains the error.

I tried using Telnet & SSH connection with Putty, but when I press <Enter>, nothing happens in the open window.

Now I'm stuck & don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

BigSam

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't use console cable to upload software to the ASA. You would need to have network connectivity with either of the ethernet ports on the ASA and configure the ASA with an ip address in the same subnet as your PC, and connect the ASA ethernet port to your PC using straight through cable.

Console port doesn't have any ip address, hence you can't ping the PC from the ASA.

jw.sl9
Level 1
Level 1

Turn off your pc firewall and verify the tftp application is running. Verify the path and file name.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I hope you find this information useful, if it was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered. Please rate post you consider useful. -James
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card