cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New VPN

radel1207
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to create a new site-to-site VPN tunnel. I have a 2811ISR on the office end and the remote end will be roaming around the world for the trainers to carry, which means that this remote end will be using a dynamic Public IP wherever they try to connect from. I have a spare 3002, but I need to provide more than 1 appliance for all of the trainers to carry with them. What would be the recommended appliance for this type of set-up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification.

The VPN 3002 is End of life now, so you cant buy those. Same is true for the smaller PIX boxes. Your best choice would be the ASA 5505 now. Its also looks pretty nice and is handy to carry about :)

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

radel1207
Level 1
Level 1

I also want to explore of having 2 ASA 5505 for site-to-site VPN.

If the trainers are moving about in various locations your best bet would be a remote-access VPN (SSL or IPSEC) and not a L2L VPN. Even tough you can build L2L VPNs in which one side has a dynamic IP address, but due to practical reasons its better to use remote-access VPN in your scenario. If there are multiple trainers they can all connect using their laptops/PCs. If all trainers will be in one location at a time, it would be nice to setup the VPN 3002.

What is the reason you are looking for an appliance for the remote site(s)?

Regards

Farrukh

The trainers will need to allow the trainees/users to connect to this VPN tunnel, in which at the other of the tunnel are the LAB and training equipments are located.

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification.

The VPN 3002 is End of life now, so you cant buy those. Same is true for the smaller PIX boxes. Your best choice would be the ASA 5505 now. Its also looks pretty nice and is handy to carry about :)

Regards

Farrukh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card