Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

No NT logon prompt

VPN Client 3.5.1 on Win2K laptop - dialing ISP's to access 3005. After making a successful connection to the concentrator, user is not prompted for NT logon. "Enable start before logon" is checked in the client Windows Logon Properties - "Allow Local LAN Access" is checked in the client Options> Properties.

Status screen of connection shows "Local LAN Access: Disabled" ???

We have 20+ remote users with the same client on Win98 that work fine.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: No NT logon prompt

Hi, The VPN client on a W2K machine should begin when the user hits Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon the workstation. In your situation, when the user hits Ctrl-Alt-Del, the client will dial the ISP. After the internet connection is successful, the client will then connect to the concentrator and prompt for a username/password. After this is successful, your looking at the NT login screen (username,password,domain) If you connect the client after the machine is logged into, you will not get an NT logon prompt.

Hope that helps....

Mike,

Thank you very much, that makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately 1. I don't know how to execute any of this ... and ... 2. This laptop lives on a LAN 95% of the time, how does one circumvent the VPN client execution in this situation? Do you have a few spare hours to muster a tutorial?

Steve

Bronze

This is pretty easy....

Go into the properties of the Connection entry you want to use..(Options,properties)

Navagate over to the connections and check "Connect to the internet via dialup". Browse to the third party dial-up application and click OK. After that, under the same connection entry, go back under options and click on "Application Launcher". Browse to the VPN client executable file called "ipsecdialer.exe". The default path is "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\ipsecdialer.exe". Put a check next to Enable to enable the feature and click OK. Next, go back into options a select "Windows logon Properties" and enable start before logon, and allow launching of third party application. Click OK, close the client and reboot the machine. If the user is on the LAN, and does not want to use the VPN client, click on close when the VPN client comes up after they hit Ctlr-Alt-Del.

Hope that helps....

Thanks again, and sorry about the delay in answering ... I've lost access to the laptop for a "while", so I can only tell you that it all executed as you illustrated, but it didn't appear to logon to the NT server .... or at least all the drive mappings failed - but I was only able to test it twice, so I don't know where it will end up. I'll post again if I get more info.

MIke, I'm about to gain access to the laptop again, so I thought I'd resurrect the discussion. All pointers you gave me worked just as you described, and I know we're knockin fon the door, but I'm not getting in. The dial-up scenario works perfect, and the client connects to the concentrator just fine, but I never get an NT login prompt, so no drives get mapped and the Exchnage server is not available. Any further thoughts out there?

Views
Helpful
Replies