cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pix 501 vpn problem

verstand76
Level 1
Level 1

I can connect but don't see any network resources.

The Vpn Client, ver:5.0.01, is running on an xp machine.

The network it is connecting to is behind a pix501- Ver. 6.3(5).

When the connection is made the remote client gets an assigned address from the vpn pool 192.168.2.10- 192.168.2.25:

The vpn client log shows:

Line:45 18:07:27.898 08/12/09 Sev=Info/4 CM/0x63100034

The Virtual Adapter was enabled:

IP=192.168.2.10/255.255.255.0

DNS=0.0.0.0,0.0.0.0

WINS=0.0.0.0,0.0.0.0

Domain=

Split DNS Names=

This is followed by these lines:

46 18:07:27.968 08/12/09 Sev=Warning/2 CVPND/0xE3400013

AddRoute failed to add a route: code 87

Destination 192.168.1.255

Netmask 255.255.255.255

Gateway 192.168.2.1

Interface 192.168.2.10

47 18:07:27.968 08/12/09 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xA3100024

Unable to add route. Network: c0a801ff, Netmask: ffffffff, Interface: c0a8020a, Gateway: c0a80201.

48 18:07:28.178 08/12/09 Sev=Info/4 CM/0x63100038

Successfully saved route changes to file.

49 18:07:28.198 08/12/09 Sev=Info/6 CM/0x63100036

The routing table was updated for the Virtual Adapter

50 18:07:29.760 08/12/09 Sev=Info/4 CM/0x6310001A

One secure connection established

I can ping, from the remote client, to an inside ip behind the pix even

when I get the "add route failure" shown above, but i can't ping the computer name.

I enabled NAT traversal using the PDM, But when I connect with this option I get the error that the "Remote end is NOT behind a NAT device This end IS behind a NAT device" and ping fails.

Behind the pix are a few computers with no central server so I'm not passing a WINS server to the remote client.

I set up the vpn with the wizard.

Attached is the config file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Hugh

23 Replies 23

Hugh, whats the progress on your issue.

Jorge Rodriguez

Success, I couldn't believe it. It was an enjoyable experience.

I made only one change that I can see by comparing the config files; I removed a specific computer that was in the list of internal networks.

The lines were:

pdm location x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 inside

http x.x.x x. 255.255.255.255 inside

I'm have no idea if this did it or not. Maybe the problem was that it was in the same subnet as the main http network? I can test later.

I haven't had the same luck with the mac os x vpn client. I can connect and get an ip from the vpn pool but can't ping or find the internal networks. I checked the the routes logged in the mac using netstat but I don't see the ip given by the pix to the mac. If it is connected it must have the route, or at least it seems it should. Maybe this behavior by netstat is normal for a vpn connection.

I was going to work on this later today after other tasks.

Thank you for your help and patience in walking me through this.

regards,

hugh

I forgot to mention that even when I connected successfully via windows vpn client, I still got the "addRoute failed to add." ( error code 87 in the vpn client log)

hugh

Hugh, post an updated config again.

When you say success, then you still get the same error code, what is it ? is it working or not?

In any case PLS post config once again to see where we are, also add to your config prior posting these two statement for testing the access to PIX inside interface IP from RA VPN client.

(config)#management-access inside

(config)#telnet 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.240 inside

Jorge Rodriguez

I'll have to get back to you later with the config and then I can do the changes as suggested. Right now i'm pressed by the usual flood of 'sudden' monday deadlines.

Sorry, I thought I was clear. I can connect and view shared resources via the windows os vpn client. This is what i was unable to do before. while connected I then checked the vpn client log to see if the 'addRoute' error was there and it was.

I concluded that this error was not critical for the problem of viewing the network ( prior to this I had searched the web using "cisco error code 87" and found someone who had a network viewing problem but had solved it and they too still had the "addroute" error. Unfortunately they didn't explain how they solved their problem)

so 'success' meant: yes I can connect and view network resources; but for some reason 'addroute' error still happens

Secondly: I can connect with the mac vpn client but I can't ping internal network nor can i view shared resources behind the pix501. ( both of which I can now do from the windows client)

my line of thought here is it has to do with the mac os X system but I haven't had time to research it yet.

what's your idea behind the testing plan?

Is this something I would monitor from inside the pix?

hugh

Hugh, thanks for clarifying.. the last two statements I indicated don't need to be place in the config unless you want to manage or ping the pix firewall inside interface from RA vpn.

Since you can from Windows get to all resources it seems the issue can be narow down to the MAC OS and not the PIX cnfiguration.

For the MAC issue I would have to look, I don't have a MAC I could test with in my lab..

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

ok, thank you.

There are so many of your posts do I rate them all are just the overall conversation?

hugh

Hugh, sure you can rate based on the overall of the conversation but you are not obligated to do so but certainly would be nice to provide ratings.

To summarized the overall narrowing down possible issues, the main goal was to ensure RA VPN configuration on the PIX501 was corrected.

1- We enabled NAT-T on the firewall - even though this was not the issue but it is required to have it there should you RA VPN from other locations - NAT travseral makes the firewall aware of NAT devices from other ends - here is some good information on NAT-T for reference in future

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0802.mspx

2-We corrected the VPN POOL network /28 as well as the nonat access list and crypto acl to be consistant.

Here is a link for future reference with numerous PIX configuration scenarios

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

lastly - your only remaining issue we can say is purely isolated with MAC machine and vpn client software.

You could perhaps try different version of the client in the MAC, or also look into release notes open caveats to rule out cisco cleint versioning and MAC versioning if there is any issues.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/prod_release_notes_list.html

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

I put a rate on this final summary.

Thanks again for all the help

hugh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card