Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX VPN - Access/Routing Issue

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I currently have my pix515 (v.7x) acting as a vpn server. My client is on a cable connection behind it's own router/firewall.

The client can connect to the PIX vpn server just fine. It gets it's address from a pool on the pix. Once connected the client can connect to any server side (inside the pix) host/IP. It can ping everything server side as well.

My problem is, nothing on the server side (inside the pix) can ping or access any client host/resource. I don't understand cause I can connect to my pix vpn via a dial up connection, not behind any kind of router or firewall, and I can ping that host from inside the pix.

Is this a routing issue or an access issue? I'm pretty new to split tunneling, but I'm almost positive i've got that setup correctly cause everything works but Server-to-client communications..

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

-scott

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you check whether you have windows firewall enabled in ur host which is using VPN client to get connected to the central location ??

regds

Windows Firewall is disabled on both ends.

Reminds me of a NAT traversal problem but you said client to server communications work OK.

Not familiar with v7 yet but I had to add "isakmp nat-traversal 20" to my config to allow access from behind a firewall.

Can you post a scrubbed config for a look-see?

Kevin, that did it! adding the "isakmp nat-traversal 20" free'd it right up. How hard would it be for cisco to put that in the documentation??? I probably went through 30 different pages pertaining to this in cisco kb, not once did I see this command mentioned.

thanks man!

I suffered with the inability to tunnel back to the house for months from the office with my PIX501. Finally found the command via Google so it sticks in my mind.

The command is listed in the docs but my fresh CCNA certificate at the time didn't help me one bit as I didn't know exactly what the problem was nor where to look. Wish it was on by default.

Glad I could help.

Kevin L

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card