cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Preconfigure VPN Client

jjohnson36
Level 1
Level 1

We are running VPN Client 4.6. We want to preconfigure the VPN client. Is it OK to send the profile (.PCF) file to the remote users? Will this profile work with any versions of VPN client and any versions of Windows operating system? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The recommended way to easily configure and 'sealed' the VPN Client configuration is by using pre-defined PCF file. All your remote users can load/copy this file without having to do additional config, as well as leaving to option for them to change any setup, e.g group name & password, or VPN Server IP.

I think the PCF file should work for any 4.x version, as they have identical configuration structure. Even if 4.6 has newer or advance security features, the PCF file is still the same.

Generally, all VPN Client software is compatible with Windows operating system like Windows 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP; Linux (Intel); Solaris (UltraSparc 32- and 64-bit); and Mac OS X 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_data_sheet0900aecd801a9de9.html

But for VPN Client v4.6.04.xxxx series, it only support Win2000/XP, as stated in the url:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/windows

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

AK

Amrih,

Thank very much for your prompt response and information. Is there an easy way to create the PCF file? What I normally do is open the VPN Client GUI interface and configure the client. Then, go to the Profiles folder and copy the PCF file and send the file to remote users. Thanks.

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

The PCF should also work with v4.5.x, v4.7.x & 4.8.x

Rgds,

AK

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jill,

So far, that's one of the common method used to distribute pre-configured PCF file to remote clients.

But another way for you to do it is using the zip file utility (like winzip) to automatically copy the PCF file into user's default VPN Client profile folder (C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles).

So, what you do is to zip the xxx.pcf file and save/convert it to 'exe' format. In Winzip: Actions - Make. EXE file.

Specify the VPN Client default directory (WinXP -> C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles) under the 'Default "Unzip To" folder:'. Enable the option to overwrite old file with new PCF file. So, when your user open the executable 'exe' file, it will automatically copy the new PCF to the right directory!

But pls make sure the 'Program File' for all your client's pc has similar default directory. You probably need to check the difference in WinXP, Win2000, ME or even Win98, if your vpn clients run on these kind OSs.

If, for example, WinXP is different from Win98, then you need to have specific 'exe' file for each OS. Then, it will be easy for you to plan your PCF file distribution.

Pls test this method in any of your experimental PC to verify the workability.

Good luck.

Rgds,

AK

brannons
Level 1
Level 1

I send the pcf file to users all of the time. I believe that it will work with older versions.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card