cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary IP Addresses and SNMP

yangrish
Level 1
Level 1

How can I tell using SNMP whether an IP address configured on an interface is primary or secondary?  Thanks for any help.

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the context of the "primary or secondary" you're referring to? In HSRP or something else?

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I looked into the CISCO-HSRP-MIB. Using, oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.106.1.2.1.1.11., I can get the primary IP address. Using this I can determine which IP block is primary and which is secondary.

However, I would like to be able to determine if the IP address configured on an interface is primary or secondary if HSRP is not configured.

CISCO-IP-IF-MIB seems to be able to do it, however, I see no support for it on the ASRs.

Thanks,

Yogi

Is ciiIPAddressCategoryCap the OID you're referring to when you say "CISCO-IP-IF-MIB seems to be able to do it"? That answer notwithstanding, here's a little thinking-out-loud:

I don't know to what extent you want to rely on SNMP. I think you could simply use SNMP or some other means to pull off the entire IOS config, and parse it with Perl/sed/whatever on your local box.

Or, since you can already "determine which IP block is primary and which is secondary" with CISCO-HSRP-MIB, you could also poll "ipAdEntAddr / 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1". By piecing those two together, maybe it could get you what you want.

Finally, if you know what you're looking for can be found with some combo of IOS "show" commands, I suggest posting in the other Network Management forum: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/network-management, for a possible EEM-based solution.

Thanks for responding, yjdabear.

We will probably get the running config and work that way. Many thanks for the idea!

Yogi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card