cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow speeds over VPN

cdrobey
Level 1
Level 1

I have a site-to-site VPN setup between Houston and Chicago. The connection from Houston is very slow. I have a T1 link (SAVVIS) to the internet, but I only get about 195kb/sec. I bypassed the PIX 506 and directly connected a PC to the Internet router (2651) and received excellent speeds (1.2 to 1.4MB) to the internet. When I connect the PC to a 3550 on the inside of the PIX my speeds drop significantly. Is there a setting in the PIX that could possibly be throttling the speed?

1 Reply 1

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

I have the data sheet for the 506E and as per the data sheet, a clear text throughput of 100 Mbps is supported. The throughput is pretty high even with encryption (56-bit DES IPsec VPN throughput: 20 Mbps, 168-bit 3DES IPsec VPN throughput: 17 Mbps, 128-bit AES IPsec VPN throughput: 30 Mbps). One possibility is a MTU issue on the PIX outside interface. Have you try reducing that? It just might work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: