cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Informs and time-outs.

ashraf.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that SNMP Informs is an alternative to SNMP traps which can send the information if the acknowledgement is not received for a packet sent.

I have a problem here.

SNMP Informs sends as many packets as that of the configured retries parameter. I do configure a parameter time-out. Does it mean that the packets will be sent one after other with a time interval configured as time-outs ?

I did see packets sent one after other instantaneously, Is there any way of controlling the time-interval between the packets.

Thanx in advance.

Regards

Ashraf

1 Reply 1

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

The command to set retries, timeout's etc is: snmp-server informs [retries retries] [timeout seconds] [pending pending]

When a trap is sent to the manager, the sending station does not wait for an acknowledgement and assumes that the message reached the destination sucessfully. However, when an Inform is sent, the manager will acknowledge the receipt of the inform request. If the sending station does not receive the acknowledgement within a specified period of time (called the timeout), the inform will be retransmitted. Once again the sending station will wait for a period of time (specified earlier as timeout). The sending station will continue retransmission of the inform till it receives the response message or if the number of retransmits becomes equal to the maximum specified retransmission attempts (specified as retries). The parameter 'pending' specifies the maximum number of informs waiting for acknowledgments at any one time. More information is available at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/113t/113t_1/snmpinfm.htm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card