Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog with separate filenames

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

scenario;

i have some 6 FWSM's in separate 6x6500 core switches..

requirement;

i need to log messages on my ACE "permit ip any any log" with separate filenames on a syslog server. how would my syslog config looks like.

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You would need to configure your requirement on your syslog server.

If you run syslog-ng on Linux, your config would look like:-

destination d_switch { file("syslog-ng/switches/$HOST/$PRIORITY.$DAY-$MONTH-$YEAR.log"); };

HTH>

sorry for not being so clear...

what i mean is the config on the FWSM

The platform makes no differnce, the fact it you configure the FWSM to send the syslogs to another device = syslog server.

In the syslog server you configure what you need.

You cannot tell the fwsm that you want the remote files to be saved in a particular format or with a specific name.....it just sends the syslog.

HTH>

so how could we distinguish the logs from different fwsm

As previosuly posted - you need to configure the syslog server to filter and write the files according to your requirements.

HTH>

i know that we have tp do simething on the syslog server.. what iam asking is the fwsm configuration.

Yes - you can configure your nework devices to use "differenet" facility numbers, so your syslog server knows which device type is sending the syslog. it facility 17 is a firewall, facility 10 is a router.

BUT you STILL have to configure your syslog server to log the information by device name/ip address etc.

This cannot be done in the network device.

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: