Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN 3000 Concentrator and SNMP

We have some VPN 3000 concentrators in our network. We use "cacti", a variant of the MRTG tool to graph various things. Amongst them, we also graph circuit utilization of our Internet bandwidth.

My routers and PIXs work fine in this regard. However, I see that the VPN concentrators report their Public interface circuit speed as whatever they have negotiated as speed with the uplink. For example, if the Public interface has negotiated a 10/half-duplex with the WAN SDSL router, then it will report its circuit speed as 10 Mbps. If the concentrator negotiates the link speed as 100/full, it reports the circuit speed as 100 Mbps. In reality, both WAN circuits are T1 and therefore should have the circuit speed set to 1.544 Mbps.

This causes a problem when graphing because it never hits the right thresholds. For example, if I ask it to paint red in the graph after the utilization cross 80%, the calculation will be based on 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps (as 100%) and not 1.544 Mbps.

Can someone tell me how can I remedy this issue and have the circuit speed reported as the Link Rate set on the concentrator rather than its physical interface speed?

Thanks.

• Security Management
1 REPLY

Re: VPN 3000 Concentrator and SNMP

Set your utilzation threshold to 1.25% of a 100Mb interface. Since your interface will never make it as high as 80Mbps you have a figure out what 80% of the T1 link would be and have it paint red when it reaches that mark.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.