Cisco Support Community
Community Member

VPN 3002 HW client LAN-to-LAN tunnel (network extension)

Hi forum,

I am considering a VPN 3002 HW client for an application where we are providing some systems at a remote location that we will need access from our home office. The home office is using a VPN concentrator 3005. Also, the remote site is at a company where external internet access is not normally permitted, so we would like to be able to plug laptops into the remote LAN (behind the 3002) in order to get at resources on our internal network (or out to the internet - through the VPN tunnel).

From reading the VPN 3002 datasheet, it sounds like I need to use "network extension mode" (so the hosts behind the 3002 are routable). My question is whether the public interface of the 3002 needs to be a static IP address that is open to the internet in this configuration. It seems to me that the VPN3002 might not need to be visible to the internet if the VPN3002 device would automatically continue to attempt to re-establish the connection if the tunnel went down (since the VPN3005 at the home office is obviously exposed to the internet at a static address that the VPN3002 knows).

Can anyone let me know either way if this configuration would work if the VPN3002 is not accessable from the public internet (i.e. either has a dynamic address, or is behind a NAT/PAT device that does not have port forwarding enabled)?

Thanks in advance,

Re: VPN 3002 HW client LAN-to-LAN tunnel (network extension)

Configure the VPN Concentrator to which this VPN 3002 connects as follows:

1. Configure the connection as a client, NOT LAN-to-LAN.

2. Assign this VPN 3002 to a group. Configure group and user names and passwords. These must match the group and user names and passwords that you set on the VPN 3002.

3. If the VPN 3002 uses Client mode, enable a method of address assignment for the VPN 3002: DHCP, address pools, address from authentication server, or client specified.

4. If the VPN 3002 uses Network Extension mode:

CreatePlease to create content