cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows ME and Cisco VPN Client Version 3.1

mscharapenko
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Windows ME remote user who is having a problem connecting with the Cisco Client Version 3.1. The error message is "the necessary VPN sub-system is not available". Our Windows 98 and Windows 2000 remote users are okay. Any idea what the problem could be with Windows ME?

4 Replies 4

blwoltz
Level 1
Level 1

I too am having this error message, although my user is on Windows NT. I am still in the process of troubleshooting this and I have a ticket open with TAC on it. So far the recomendation is to upgrade the client from 3.1 to 3.1.1 but that did not work.

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

Check to see if the AOL IP Stack is installed. If so, uninstall AOL and everything from the Windows Network Properties and Reboot. Now reinstall Windows TCP/IP stack and reboot. Now install VPN client 3.1 and reboot. Finally, install AOL 6.0 or higher and reboot. It should work from there.

dmhanson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running 98 and had the same message. I just removed PGP and the error message went away.

chris.parker
Level 1
Level 1

I am sure you have fixed this by now but when we came up against this problem we uninstalled the VPN client software and then reinstalled it and had no more problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card