Views
Helpful
Replies

10G Auto Negotiation problem

amohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an issue with a 10G link between the Cisco 4900M switch and a 10Gbase-T server nic.  The Cisco 4900M switch has a WS-X4908-10G-RJ45 half card installed which needs to be setup to provide 10G connectivity for servers.  The link connection between a 10Gbase-T server nic and the switch does not establish when set to auto negotiate (no link LED), i believe it could be an auto negotiation problem.  The link fluctuates constantly between connected and disconnected states, when set to negotiate at 1G on both sides of the link.  If i hard code the server nic to 1G the link remains up when the port group is at 1G on the switch.  If i hard code the server nic to 10G the link remains down (disconnected).  Based on the documentation the port speed and duplex cannot be hard coded on the switch end.  I have tried updating the drivers for the server nic as well as diagnostic tests on the nic, which passed.  The 4900M IOS code is version 15.0.2-SG2.  If i plug a laptop into the 1G configured port the switch and the laptop negotiate at 1G, as normal.  Also, i believe, if the 10G server nic is plugged into another 1G only switch the link auto negotiates to 1G, as normal.  The server nic is an INTEL Server Adapter AT 10G, which was end of life in 2009.  I believe the half card came out in 2010.  The link between the switch and server is a new tested 10ft CAT6 UTP cable.  I am still in the process of troubleshooting which end device is giving the issue (switch or nic). 

The above steps were tried on another new identical server with the same results

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Aleel

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yea, i know.  I wasn't getting much responses under the LAN section.

1.  So which one should be respond to?  This one or the other one?

2.  What happens if someone responds to your first post and no one knows about this and another one responds to this post?  Which post are we going to respond to now?

Making multiple post of the same topic not only confuses us but will eventually confuses you.  Just because no one knows how to delve into your issue doesn't mean that you make multiple post.  No one is making suggestion(s) or recommendation(s) to your issue because we've, most likely, never encountered something like this before.

If you really want an answer, contact Cisco TAC and raise a case with them. 

Unfortunately the switch is not covered by SmartNet and i recieve emails with links when someone replies which makes it easier to respond but i do see your point.

thanks for the suggestion...

This issue was resolved by downgrading the IOS image on the 4900M switch from version 150-2.SG to 122-54.SG1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: