cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 Help please!

kevman100
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a Cisco 5505 switch and i went to start configuring it and when i go to my terminal nothing comes up. The switch seems to post fine all the LEDs are green. But there is no configure process. This is my first time working with this type of switch. It has a WS-X5530 Supervisor Engine III. Could there be a problem with that and also the fron fan is not spinning on the power supply not a big deal just wondering any way to fix it. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thank you in advance.

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

The switch seems to post fine

Does this mean you see output in Hyperterm during the post tests? Or are you just going by the LEDs?

If you get anything at all, please post to the forum.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Kevin,

What terminal emulation software are you using ? Have you configured it for a 9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, no parity and 1 stop bit ?

Pls advise what you have tried so far..

Paresh

i am using Hyper terminal. And yes i have configured it to the setting you listed above.

Is is possiable for the engine to go bad and that is why it is not working? Any help would be great. Thank you very much.

Kevin

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

The switch seems to post fine

Does this mean you see output in Hyperterm during the post tests? Or are you just going by the LEDs?

If you get anything at all, please post to the forum.

there is no output i am just looking at the LEDS. They are all green and seem to be ok.

And you're sure the cable you're using is fine?

It isn't a rollover cable, is it?

It should be a straight-through RJ45 as per

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/prod_quick_installation_guide09186a008007eb11.html#xtocid21028

THANK YOU!! Honestly that makes no sense that all other routers and switches use rollovers and these use straight throughs. But i was looking for a article like that but i guess i just didn't look hard enough. Any way i got the switch to work and i thank you soo much.

If it's any consolation, this one catches me out ***every*** time. Now that the 5500 is end of life, or pretty much so, I don't see them very often. Once upon a time, they were bread-and-butter devices and you never forgot. But now, when I'm called to work on them it always takes me a while - and a lot of cable swapping, terminal emulation mucking about, etc. - before I remember the cable type gotcha.

jcbuilder
Level 1
Level 1

I have running the same switch. with this one for the console need one normal Network patch cord cat5 rj45-rj45 and rj45-DB9 serial port. working with the hyperlink.

pkaretnikov
Level 1
Level 1

Get a short rollover and a rj-45 coupler, and just leave it hanging from the switch modules console port. That way you can still console using your console(rollover) cable, without having to switch up.