cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5596UP killing Vcenter "heartbeat" packets on Lan and WAN

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

Just moved my entire off a 6509 to the dual 5596up's running version 6.0(2)N2(5) with UCS.

Now, Vcenter5 (physical machine not vm) is having problems with its "heartbeat" to tcp/udp 902.

It isn't a routing issue, not a "arp issue", not a issue with  a lower switch having " ip device tracking " enabled. Not an access-list block, not a firewall block. 

Every minute we can watch Vcenter lose contact with local VM's that are on the UCS  which is connected by Four 10-Gig trunks.

All other protocols and devices have no issues. Its just Vcenter on the local lan and going out across our WAN.

Had zero issues with this when I had all my core routing running on a 6509 running 12.2sx code. 

Nothing changed on the Vcenter side or on our UCS.  The routing was just moved to the Nexus 5596UP's.

5 Replies 5

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

More information. 

My Vcenter is on the same subnet as my esxi servers that run the VM's.

No routing is taking place.

are you talking about "VM Monitoring (aka VM HA) heartbeat" ?

VM monitoring are the TCP/UDP probes that Vcenter sends out to the VM servers ever 20 seconds.

This lets vcenter know that the VM servers are working correctly. Without a VM heartbeat, Vcenter thinks the Esx server is down, so you can't manage any of the VM hosts on that ESX server or migrate over VM's from one ESX server to another.

Any information in the /var/log/vmware/hostd.log file on the ESX host to see if it was caused by VMM.

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

Problem was in Vcenter. Required a rebuild of Vcenter onto the UCS blades.  We had Vcenter running on a standalone server, not as a VM on the UCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: