cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5k upgrade

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone upgraded a 5k without ANY downtime? I have two 5k's with two FEX 2248's. VPC to both FEX's from 5k. Some say the they cant achieve no downtime with this because the FEX's reboot with the 5k's. Just seeing what others have run into?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Use the "show install all impact kickstart bootflash:newimagename system bootflash:newimagename" command to check to see if your configuration is ISSU. I know that if your N5Ks have L3 ISSU isn't supported, there are a few other caveats around LACP and SPT. N2Ks are supported with ISSU though.

View solution in original post

calopez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you perform the install command, also, it will tell you if it will be dirsruptive or non-disruptive. You can either then proceed or quit the upgrade.  in regards to the Fex:

An ISSU first upgrades the switches. Once the switch is operational with the upgraded software, the FEX's are upgraded. This upgrade of the FEX is done in a rolling fashion, one FEX at a time. This upgrade on the Fabric Extenders is non-disruptive, similar to the upgrade of the switch.

To understand this process further in regards to disruptive or non-disruptive upgrades please check this"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/602_N1_2/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_602.html

ISSU Support for vPC Topologies

----------------------------------------------

While upgrading devices in a vPC topology, you should start with the switch that is the primary switch. The vPC secondary device should be upgraded after the ISSU process completes successfully on the primary device. The two vPC devices continue their control plane communication during the entire ISSU process (except when the ISSU process resets the CPU of the switch being upgraded).

I hope this helps you further.

Regards,

Carlos

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Use the "show install all impact kickstart bootflash:newimagename system bootflash:newimagename" command to check to see if your configuration is ISSU. I know that if your N5Ks have L3 ISSU isn't supported, there are a few other caveats around LACP and SPT. N2Ks are supported with ISSU though.

So during this update did your network record any downtime?

I suppose you went to update on 5k at a time, right?

didnt matter. dual home fex....learned my lesson on that.

Yes, we had 4 FEX switches dual homed to the 5K's. All the FEX's reloaded at once. Went down for three mins or so.

calopez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you perform the install command, also, it will tell you if it will be dirsruptive or non-disruptive. You can either then proceed or quit the upgrade.  in regards to the Fex:

An ISSU first upgrades the switches. Once the switch is operational with the upgraded software, the FEX's are upgraded. This upgrade of the FEX is done in a rolling fashion, one FEX at a time. This upgrade on the Fabric Extenders is non-disruptive, similar to the upgrade of the switch.

To understand this process further in regards to disruptive or non-disruptive upgrades please check this"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/602_N1_2/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_602.html

ISSU Support for vPC Topologies

----------------------------------------------

While upgrading devices in a vPC topology, you should start with the switch that is the primary switch. The vPC secondary device should be upgraded after the ISSU process completes successfully on the primary device. The two vPC devices continue their control plane communication during the entire ISSU process (except when the ISSU process resets the CPU of the switch being upgraded).

I hope this helps you further.

Regards,

Carlos

Seems like the rumor is that any 5k with a L3 mod has always required downtime for any update. I will know this weekend. Thanks for the help guys!

Why is the TFTP upload for the images so slow to the 5k? I am only trying the kickstart image right now that is like 30MB and I have been watching it for over an hour already and its at 13.31MB! What is going on?

Compatibility check is done:
Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason
------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------
     1       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   101       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled
   102       yes      disruptive         reset  Non-disruptive install not supported if L3 was enabled

Images will be upgraded according to following table:
Module       Image         Running-Version             New-Version  Upg-Required
------  ----------  ----------------------  ----------------------  ------------
     1      system             5.2(1)N1(1)            6.0(2)N1(2a)           yes
     1   kickstart             5.2(1)N1(1)            6.0(2)N1(2a)           yes
     1        bios      v3.6.0(05/09/2012)      v3.6.0(05/09/2012)            no
     1      SFP-uC                v1.0.0.0                v1.0.0.0            no
   101       fexth             5.2(1)N1(1)            6.0(2)N1(2a)           yes
   102       fexth             5.2(1)N1(1)            6.0(2)N1(2a)           yes
     1   power-seq                    v1.0                    v1.0            no
     3   power-seq                    v5.0                    v5.0            no
     1          uC                v1.2.0.1                v1.2.0.1            no

Additional info for this installation:
--------------------------------------
Remove QoS & ACL config on L3 interfaces and SVIs if any

Service "lacp" : LACP: Upgrade will be disruptive as 0 switch ports and 14 fex ports are not upgrade ready!!

NEXUS5K001#

So looks like disruptive is a go! What does the warning about LACP mean?

Hi Steven, 

This might be a tough one for your memory being three years ago. do you know if the FEX switches upgraded sequentially or all at once ?

All at once!