Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Sup720 Native/Hybrid and Flash

UTVi-NetAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I was hoping to run 6500 in Native Mode (12.2(18)SD5,7 SXF) i.e IOS on both SP and RP.

I have no idea what way the box is configured regarding whether Hybrid (CatOS on SP/PFC, IOS on MSFC) or Native at present.

Those later IOS images are approx. 75M.

From what I can see on CCO, Sup720 comes with 512MB DRAM and 64Mb bootflash on both SP and RP.

Does this mean we need a Compact Flash card to run such an image?

Thanks

Mark

11 Replies 11

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

You are correct, 12.2(18)SXE and later releases will not fit on the onboard flash and you will need to equip your Sup720 with a compact flash card.

From personal experience, I recommend that you run 12.2(18)SXF1 or better.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate this post.

Regards,

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the reply.

So in order to run 12.2(18)SXF1 or similar I would need at least MEM-C6K-CPTFL128M? :(

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes you are very right with the part number.

MEM-C6K-CPTFL128M is a CompactFlash Type II device which can be used to load sup 720 integrated image.

By default the cat6k with sup 720 will come up with catos and if you want to convert to native ios you can have a look at this link also

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/81.html#conv_720

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Thanks for that Ankur.

So Cat6k's being shipped at present come with CatOS on SP/PFC and IOS on MSFC?

Is there a link that states that?

Thanks,

Mark

"So Cat6k's being shipped at present come with CatOS on SP/PFC and IOS on MSFC?"

Im afraid this is not true at all. The Sup720 only runs Native IOS. The version of Native IOS you receive is based on your selection when you order the switch.

If you look at the IOS Upgrade Planner you will see that only Native IOS images are available for download.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi

Please rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

Brad

So there are images that fit on 64MB SP bootflash?

Mark

Hi Brad,

SUP720 can 100% run CATOS and there is no doubt for that matter.

The Catalyst 6500 series Supervisor Engine 720 ships with 512-MB DRAM, which fully supports software release 8.x

The Catalyst 6500 series Supervisor Engine 720 ships with a 64-MB bootflash device

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm#wp20785

MARK if you talk of catos yes it will support in 64 MB bootflash and there are some images in NTAIVE IOS which will be working with 64 MB SP bootflash though some Supervisor Engine 720 Release 12.2SX images are larger than the bootflash device and must be stored on a CompactFlash card.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp2560955

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Can we use ftp to boot the IOS image (that is greater than what the onboard 64MB can hold)? In this sense, we do not need to purchase the CompactFlash card.

If you're going to be using any QoS, please save yourself the pain of 12.2(18)SFX-SFX3 and go directly to SFX4. If you're doing VoIP cram as much memory in as you can afford and QoS by vlan.

Hi

Just my ten pence worth -

1) Cat6k with Sup720s seem to be shipped with native IOS at the momeent - I received a pair this week that were shipped with 12.2(17), on the internal 64Mb flash.

2) I ordered a 512Mb compact flash (MEM-C6K-CPTFL512M

) with it - I'd recommend this as I wanted to first load the 70+ Mb 12.2(18)SXF4 image, then use the software modularity install so I knew I'd need more space...

Hope this helps...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Cisco ships Cat6k / Sup720 or Sup32 with native IOS preinstalled for the past year or so. Sup720 supports CATOS and Native (8.3(2) and higher/12.2(17d)SXB1 and higher)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: