Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Anycast HSRP on Nexus - coexistence with vPC+ on same device?

Hello,

I'm currently studying design options that will involve FHRP localisation as well as attaching via vPC switches and servers to nexus 7k, as well as coordinating this with DCI - but on a small scale environment.

The scenario is a pair of N7k's on site A, connected to a pair of N7k's on site B. In both sites there are switches that are vPC attached to the 7k's. The 7k's are also meant to be the default gateway for the subnets.

From what I understood, Anycast HSRP would be an interesting way of solving FHRP localisation across DC's in this case, but I'm confused regarding a few aspects:

- both anycast HSRP and vPC+ work on the basis of the emulation of a fabricpath switch ID from which all remaining FP nodes see the HSRP virtual mac address.

- for vPC+ (i.e. the CE to FP conversion) each pair of 7k's will have a emulated switch ID - one per site.

- for Anycast HSRP the whole set of 7k's across both sites would also have an emulated switch ID.

- what would happen on a scenario where you still need to attach devices to the FP edge via vPC+ but you also want to use the possibilities of Anycast HSRP (i.e. all four devices involved in DCI to be actively routing traffic)?

This seems very conflicting, but the documentation states nothing on the coexistence of Anycast HSRP with vPC attached devices. All I could find was related to pure FP spine switches.

Has anybody faced this situation?

Thanks

Gustavo

Everyone's tags (5)
2 REPLIES

Hello Gustavo, hello all. I

Hello Gustavo, hello all.

I am facing the same topic now.

Does anybody have an answer on this?

Thank you for any reply.

Karl

Hi KarlHeinz, I ended up

Hi KarlHeinz,

I ended up bringing this up to my SE, who forwarded my emails to someone at Cisco. Their answer is that Anycast HSRP is compatible with vPC+, but unfortunately they haven't given more details since...

Regards

Gustavo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content