cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I run two instances of TN3270 server on 7204?

2tramsay
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7204vxr router with two CPA cards. Each one connects to a different mainframe, and I would like to run the TN3270 server on each of my CPA's. Is this allowed? I have an active PU in VTAM on both systems, but cannot open a session on the second instance of the TN3270 server.

5 Replies 5

jmollman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It should work.

Is the PU active? "show exteneded channel4/0 tn"?

Do you have an IP address on the interface? Is the

tn3270 PU in the same subnet? Do you have routing to

the subnet?

Jim

Hi Jim...

Everything is there for connectivity... Pu is active, I can ping the IP address of the PU. Routing is good. I even tried changing the TCP listen port for the telnet server with no effect. I thought perhaps there was a problem with running two instances of the TN3270 server on the same router. As long as it's supported, I'll proceed to try and figure it out...

dmccullo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

Sure, it's allowed. You do need a separate license for each, but I don't suppose that's the current problem. If the PU is showing active in both VTAM and on the router, then is almost has to be IP reachability. Can you ping to it? The only other easy thought is an LU name or pooling issue. Are these hard coded LUs, and also showing active in VTAM. If not, could you easily try that type setup, to help diagnose the problem.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan...

LU's are hard coded, can ping the gateway/PU no problem... I get a "socket message not tapped - 28360 " error with my TN3270E client (Hummingbird) when trying to establish a session. No bind errors in VTAM or anything like that, and no error's in the router log with al the channel debug on. I have not had the time to look at this in as much detail as I would like to, but I'll get there.. Again, thanks for your input and I'll update this as soon as I have some more info...

Fresh IPL of the VSE system got me working... Thanks for the input guys..