cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can poe fry my nic?

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Needed a more technical person to answer for management. What are the odds that when I plug my CAT5e cable, connected to my laptop, into a POE blade on a Cisco 6509 switch that I will fry my nic? lol

---

Posted by WebUser Steven Kinney

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very unlikely.

There is a signal sent to the device plugged into the PoE switch to detect whether power draw is requested or not.  This initial low voltage is not enough to fry your NIC.  Once the device sends back the request for Power, the appropriate power is applied depending on the Class of PoE enabled device connected.

It is recommended when changing a PoE for Non-PoE device, to wait a minute or longer between swapping devices connecting to a PoE enabled switch.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very unlikely.

There is a signal sent to the device plugged into the PoE switch to detect whether power draw is requested or not.  This initial low voltage is not enough to fry your NIC.  Once the device sends back the request for Power, the appropriate power is applied depending on the Class of PoE enabled device connected.

It is recommended when changing a PoE for Non-PoE device, to wait a minute or longer between swapping devices connecting to a PoE enabled switch.

Regards,

Robert

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no chance for your NIC to get fried by the measly PoE, PoE+ or uPoE.