Cisco Support Community
Community Member

casual connection

Hi,We have casual conection to different company. The topology like that:MainframeA(VTAMA-Appl1)--NCPA-- LL--MainframeA(VTAMA-Appl2)--We want migrate our side to router based network like that:MainframeA(VTAMA-Appl1)--CIP--DLUR (DLSW+SnaSw)--LL--MainframeB(VTAMB-Appl2)Does This config work? I found a document on cco based on CIp to CIP connection for casual connect, I'm not sure that it covers our need.I need any info about it. Thanks in advance.Regards,Funda

Community Member

Re: casual connection

Hi Funda,

Appears you are referring to this CCO example of APPN border node and LEN casual connect?

The CCO example would work - but you would NOT require SNASw in the Cisco router attached to Mainframe A. DLSw+ would provide LLC transport across the WAN in the above example.

BUT a much better approach to your requirement of moving to IP and FEP migration is using Extended Border Node (EBN) on MainframeA and MainframeB (if both mainframes are APPN enabled & running CS/390 V2R7 or higher) , and enable Enterprise Extender (EE) on both hosts:

MainframeA (EBN/EE)-----------IP Network--------------MainframeB (EE/EBN)

EBN provides the cross-SNA subnet (different NETID) support, while EE provides HPR/IP IP/UDP transport for SNA traffic between hosts end-to-end - no DLSw+ would be required for SNA L3 transport if EE is deployed! SNASw is NOT required for EE/EBN between mainframes and is not a solution for this purpose (SNASw supports peripheral SNA EN/LEN/PU2.0 devices - see for more information). Traffic exiting hosts on both end is already IP encapsulated (and SNA COS to IP precedence marked to leverage Cisco QoS support mechanisms like WFQ/CBWFQ/etc.) - the Cisco network in between is all IP!

CreatePlease to create content