cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6509

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

I have given the assignment to rack mount a bunch--17 x Cat6509s preloaded with blades. Can the above be accomplished by one person within a work week? I am not familiar with Cat6509s.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Two people ... yes.

One person ... no.

I would be impressed if one person could rack mount 3 fully loaded 6509s by themselves in one work day. This leaves you at 15 switches racked after 5 days.

Hope this helps. Please rate this post ;)

-Brad

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jevogler
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on how strong this person is and where in the rack they are installing the switches... Each chassis by itself will weigh 55 lbs. If you have a loaded unit, they can weigh up to 135 lbs.

Now by racking, I am assuming you are not configuring and just responsible for the hardware installation. The mounting task is not the hard and a week should be more than sufficient -if they can physically handle the task. (heck, I have done 8 in a 6 hour window before and finished well before the allotted time had expired)

couple of peices of advice:

remove power supplies before racking.

use a cordless power tool to fasten the hardware

If you do have to remove blades, be careful. An improperly installed module can cause damage inside the switch that can result in months of issues and hardware failures.

Thanks.

towler
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it is possible but ...

Because of the excessive weight, you will need to remove all/most of the blades and the power supplies from the 6509 chassis before you attempt to mount each chassis in the rack.

Good luck,

Richard

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First, what is you BMI? :)

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Two people ... yes.

One person ... no.

I would be impressed if one person could rack mount 3 fully loaded 6509s by themselves in one work day. This leaves you at 15 switches racked after 5 days.

Hope this helps. Please rate this post ;)

-Brad

Having just racked 6 6509's and a 7609 alone in a single (12 hour) day, yes it can be done. But, like someone else mentioned, you need to pull all the blades and more importantly, the power supplies.

Mount the brackets everywhere first, and the empty chassis is rather easy to pickup and place on the brackets and slide in. An electric screwdriver is your friend.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two people is better and faster;

- It's a hassle to remove the blades and where to put them as you might step unto them

- What if something happen to you, nobody will call 911