Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CISCO 1000v and span ports

I'm reading the cisco 1000v allows 64 span configurations. How many of these configurations can be used at the same time?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: CISCO 1000v and span ports

Hi,

You can configure all 64 span sessions at the same time. We do put a limit of up to 4 copies for a given frame in a VEM module, in case all sessions are spanning the same traffic. I am not sure if I completely understood your question. Please do elaborate if this reply does not answer your query.

Munish.

Thanks Munish.

We are investigating deploying the 1000v with our VM server infrastructure. Right now we are discussing how the 1000v will work with our packet capture solution of choice which is Network Instruments Gigastor.

Previously with the 65XX\IOS switches we were limited to two span ports configured and active at the same time per switch. This limited the amount of traffic that could be captured at any time.

Basically we want to make sure we can capture all traffic sent in and out of our VM servers and span this traffic to a single a switch port with a packet capture device attached.

One particular question\concern is the ability for the 1000v to capture intervm traffic. That is, traffic sent from one VM server to another on the same physical host.

Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Nexus 1000V is perfect for spanning inter-VM traffic within the ESX server, since it enables the data path for inter-VM traffic. SPAN functionality is embedded within the Nexus1000V data path at the hypervisor level. You can use ERSPAN to export the spanned traffic to an external device. The Nexu1000V ERSPAN frame format is fully compatible with Cat6500/IOS ERSPAN capabilities.

thanks,

Munish.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content