Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Nexus 5548UP - Enhanced vPC

Hello,

We will be deploying a new Cisco Nexus 5K environment with 2248 FEX's.

The firewall in the environment (non-Cisco), only supports static Port-channels - i.e "ON" configuration and not LACP.

For redundancy we will be patching it into the environment in a topology where VLAN's are trunked and connected to two FEX modules as on page 2 of this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/mkt_ops_guides/513_n1_1/n5k_enhanced_vpc.pdf

Every example I've seen online uses LACP instead of a static Port-channel. My questions are:

Will this cause any issues in the event of port failure?

Is this best practice?

Are there any "gotchas" or caveats with this design?

Many thanks in advance.

Jacob

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I always like to use LACP where and when I can. Some devices, like your firewall and vmware do not support LACP. As long as both devices are configured correctly and using mode-on, there should be no issues with this. I do not like mode-on for this reason, as it does not negotiate anything before bringing up the port-channel. Therefore just confirm it is configured as mode-on on both sides and you should be fine. This should not cause any disruption if one link fails, but I would test the configuration before putting this into production.

Jacob,

As Colby noted many folks are using "on" within there topologies for a setup just like yours. It will work just fine..

You guys sure about this? I am trying to use a UCS-C210-M2 right now with VMWare 5.X and my port channel is not sending traffic. My VMs are not trasmitting data and my port channels are up. I think I may need to take the port channel portion off and try it again. I am running Enhanced vPC right now and this is what I am seeing. I am interested to see if anyone else out there has the actual EvPC working with VMWare across 2 FEX's.

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies