Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Nexus 7K's Rx Pause Frames connected to ESX hosts

Hi,

Can anyone please advise.

We have a setup of dual Nexus 7K's connected to 3 ESX hosts and on the Port channels connected to these servers , I,m seeing the RX Pause frames counter increasing daily on all  port channels connected these hosts.

The connectivity between the 7K and ESX's are 4x10G connections , with a pair of 10G's to each 7K and vpC for these Port channels. The ESX's have 1000V installed.

I take it the RX Pause frames,  is the ESX telling the 7k's to slow down, as it cannot process.

Do we need to put in flowcontrol on the N7K's.

• Server Networking
1 REPLY

Cisco Nexus 7K's Rx Pause Frames connected to ESX hosts

Darren, in my experience I have seen flaky behavior with host side LACP/vPC. A more predictable/reliable setup for me has been to not use switch side port channels/vPC for ESX hosts but instead let VMware/N1KV handle the VM distribution across the 2 uplinks.

For N1KV I usually set this "channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning" on the host uplink port profile.

For VMware distributed switches I normally use the default route based on port ID which is similar to the N1KV mac-pinning mode.

ESX/N1KV do a good job or distributed VMs across the 2 uplinks and do a great job of re-pinning VMs to the other link if there is a failure.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.