cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS or MLS for Routing

paulsa3598
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 11506 CSS and 4506 switches with sup IV. I would like to use the switch to route because it would provide me with faster route speeds, since it would use MLS and provide me wire speeds instead using the Route Processsor all the time.

The problem is I then loose redundancy for server to server communication when a server goes down on the same leg.

What are common solutions that would provide me with redundacy to servers on the other leg and the speed of the 4506 MLS6.

I don't want to have to go up to the CSS and route because we notice that all traffic is coming from one IP (the CSS Interface)on web logging and it is not as quick as using the switch. In order to change using the same VIP I would have to use a NAT for server to server communication.

So my two options at this point are

A) Using the CSS for load balancing for server to server communication.

B) Setup Load balancing at the server level (I'm not sure if this is possible without clustering).

Is there a way to do this at the switch level?

Keep in mind this is a 4506 so SLB on the switch is not an option.

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Try upgrading IOS if necessary.As per my knowledge it works fine in 12.1(19)E and above.Refer the follwoing URL

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1833/products_feature_guide09186a0080086f2b.html#wp2730886