cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CWDM Question

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

To to pick your brain i have 2 pairs of dark fibers between two datacenters. Dark fibers are terminating on 8 Port channel CWDM and have two pairs of catalyst 6509 switches connecting to the CWDM using 2 channels each at each datacenters. The connection between the 6509's via CWDM are Layer 3 routing usinf EIGRP. I would like to also have a layer 2 connecting between the datacenters since i have few spare channels on the CWDM for server clustering ( two servers between DC need to be on same subnet) and don't want to encounter any STP issues between the 6509 switches. How can i achieve this?

My idea:

Dont have any layer 2 connection on the 6500's since they are core and connect another pairs of Catalyst 4507 at each datacenter to the spare channels on the CWDM and have a layer 2 trunk between the datacenters from the catalyst 4507 acting as a distribution switches passing frames between the two servers via layer 2 for vlan 95 and have the 4507 connect to the Core 6509 via layer 3 routing. So the cat catalyst 4707 will act as a distribution and access.

will my idea work?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

At a high level i cannot see why this wouldn't work although perhaps you may consider eiher 3750-E or 4948 switches rather than the 4500 switch which seems slight overkill for forming a separate L2 link.

You don't say what function your 6500's serve but assuming they are core within your DC's i would support separate switches for L2 connectivty if you can afford it.

HTH

Jon

Hi,

For high availability and redundancy, consider two pairs of CAT 6500s with VSS on each DC. Use multi-chassis etherchannel on the CWDM links between the VSS switches. No STP what so ever.

Damon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: