Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Data Center switching oversubscription

Dear All,

I manage a data center that consist in 4 stacked 3750x and 3 HP c-Class Enclosures with 2 Cisco 3020 switches each.

On each 3020 switch I currently have 2 links (aggregated) to the 3750x stack.

Since we are going to fill one of the Enclosures with 16 blade I was concerting on the uplink bandwith to the 3750 stack.

Is there any tool or best practice to calculare the minimal oversubscription ratio to avoid drops?

I saw the 20:1 rule for access layer but I believe that it is used for switches where end-devices are connected (PC, printers , etc..) , not for Data Center.

thanks,

Paolo

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hey,There is no such thing,

Hi Paolo,

There is no such thing, you can have a oversubscription of 100:1, if you wish. What tells you if this oversubscription is good or not is the application behavior, how are you using your network.

There are a lot of tools in the market (some are free) that helps you monitoring your consumption of network bandwidth, take this data with the growth forecast of the network to get a number.

I'll not listing the networking monitoring tools, because that are hundreds out there.

Regards.

Richard

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Hey,There is no such thing,

Hi Paolo,

There is no such thing, you can have a oversubscription of 100:1, if you wish. What tells you if this oversubscription is good or not is the application behavior, how are you using your network.

There are a lot of tools in the market (some are free) that helps you monitoring your consumption of network bandwidth, take this data with the growth forecast of the network to get a number.

I'll not listing the networking monitoring tools, because that are hundreds out there.

Regards.

Richard

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content