Views
Helpful
Replies

DC Design with Nexus & Cat6500 VSS

acharyr123
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to have suggestion on designing DC & DR. Both DC & DR is in a same state but distance between DC & DR will be approx 2 KM. There is a requirement of L2 reachability between DC & DR, hence NK7 i have proposed so that OTV can be used. As distribution i have proposed Cat6509 with VSS & ASA module to provide security to the server segments & connect the blade servers.

Do you think this is a good design? Or NK5 should be proposed?

Kindly suggest...

7 Replies 7

Surya ARBY
Level 4
Level 4

OTV is useless in your case. use dark fibers for 2km of distance. It will be much more simple.

Then do I need Nexus at all??

According to your design, probably not. You can use Nexus 5548 switches to aggregate 10GE uplinks from your blade chassis if required, what are the 3750-X POE used for ?

3750-X for connecting end user desktops/IP phones etc…

Can I connect N1000V with N7K?

Rgds,

N1000v is a virtual switch, it has nothing to do with N7k.

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Acharyr

Depending of what type of connections you can get between DC and DR you need to select a platform and technology.

If you will be able to get a darkfiber - than necessity can be discussed, but if your ISP will won't be able to offer you such type of connections and offer for example use routing between datacenters. Than N7K can be used to run OTV and create L2 connection over your ISP invironment.

HTH,

Alex

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I think it is a good design. Even if you could get direct L2 connectivity between the sites, I would prefer not to do it. Stretching L2 introduces Spanning Tree considerations (you don't want a STP domain stretching across datacenters if you can help it). I wouldn't make a decision solely based on what you read here, there are many considerations, but I'd probably start off looking at your solution or re-looking at why you need L2 stretching. There may be other options. For example if it's just for moving VMs around you may be able to go with a traditional L3 solution along with load balancers to hide the VMs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: