cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dell server with two 10 gig interfaces running VM

chuck-jenkins
Level 1
Level 1

We have a few servers that will have two ten gig interfaces. I would like to connect them to two 5548's for redundancy. What are the options for this type of connection. I want to trunk from one 4548 to one interface on the server and also trunk from interface two on the server to my other 5548. I don't know the server lingo for this type connection. The server will just be an application server not a sans box. If one interface drops on 5548-A i want all traffic to flow to the server through the interface in 5548-B.

Thank You.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"5548" you mean a Nexus 5548?

If this is the case, if you connect two Nexus 5548 together via vPC you can connect one 10 Gbps to the first unit and connect the second 10 Gbps to the second unit. 

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Chuck,

NIC teaming or NIC bonding is the name the server or NIC manufacturers typically use to refer to the software that configures two or more NICs in such a way that they appear to operate either as a single link or as an active/standby "team".

The capabilities can vary by server vendor, NIC vendor and server Operating System so it would help if you can provide details of Operating System and NICs that'll be running on the Dell server.

The following table provides details of a number of NIC vendors, the teaming capabilities i.e., active/standby, active/active etc., and the name the vendor uses for the team type. Once you know the OS and NIC, a Google search using the appropriate team name should give you plenty more information if you need it.

In the table, columns 2-4 are known as "switch independent" teams i.e., there's no special configuration or capabilities required of the switch, and columns 5 and 6 are "switch dependant" teams in that they do require specific capabilities and configuration of the switch to match the server.

OS/NICActive/StandbyActive/Active (Rx)Active/Active (Tx/Rx)Static LAGDynamic LAG
BroadcomSmart Load BalancingN.A.

Smart Load Balancing

Generic TrunkLink Aggregation
HPNetwork Fault TolerantTransmit Load BalanceN.A.Switch Assisted Load Balance802.3ad Dynamic
IntelSwitch Fault TolerantAdaptive Load BalanceN.A.Static Link AggregationDynamic Link aggregation
Linuxactive-backup (mode=1)balance-tlb (mode=5)balance-alb (mode=6)N.A.802.3ad (mode=4)
VMware ESxiExplicit failover order

N.A.

i) Route based on originating virtual port ID

ii) Route based on MAC hash

Route baed on IP hashLink Aggregation Control Protocol

As Leo says, using Cisco virtual Port Channel (vPC) is a good option when connecting servers to Nexus 5500 series switches, providing the server OS supports IEEE 802.3ad (now 802.1AX) Link Aggregation. Otherwise you'd ideally want to go for a team that supports active/active configuration such that you can use all NICs at the same time.

Regards