cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between 1Gb SFP and 1Gb Ethernet port?

fred2k3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at the Catalyst switches, and I notice that some of them have 1Gb SFP ports and 1GB standard Ethernet ports (i.e. on the same switch).

With regards to linking multiple switches together, if you used SFP modules with Copper/Ethernet interfaces and Cat 5 cables, would you get better performance than just using the standard Gb Ethernet ports?  Do they do something differently?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
Both switchports operate at the same speed so you gain nothing by using GLC-T SPFs instead of a straight RJ45 copper connection between switches.
The performance benefit of the SFP ports comes from the use of fibre connections and therefore increase the distance of un-switched connections (eg 1000BASE-EX = 40,000m) between switches far greater than can be achieved with Cat5/6 (100 m).

cheers,
Seb.

View solution in original post

Good question. I believe:

GLC = gigabit line card

T = twisted (as in pair)

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
Both switchports operate at the same speed so you gain nothing by using GLC-T SPFs instead of a straight RJ45 copper connection between switches.
The performance benefit of the SFP ports comes from the use of fibre connections and therefore increase the distance of un-switched connections (eg 1000BASE-EX = 40,000m) between switches far greater than can be achieved with Cat5/6 (100 m).

cheers,
Seb.

Many thanks for the explanations.

Can you tell me what GLC-T stands for?  I understand what it is, but can't find the answer to what the acronym means.

Good question. I believe:

GLC = gigabit line card

T = twisted (as in pair)

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
SFP=Fiber
Standard Port=Copper

Connecting via fiber or copper will give you the same bandwidth, but when you use fiber you can go further distances then you can with copper.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: