cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do DLSw and BSTUN play together nicely?

mark.w.miller
Level 1
Level 1

We run DLSw, with SRB enabled, over many 7206 routers. I am looking to configure BSTUN on two of these routers to accomodate a bisync point-to-point app, but have been warned by fellow engineers to either a) be "very careful" with this config, of b) avoid this situation entirely.

My question: Why? Are there any known issues with these two protocols living on the same router(s)? Your knowledge and experiences are appreciated. Note: We are running IOS 11.1 and higher on all routers concerned.

Special Bonus Question Part II: when configuring BSTUN point-to-point with NO contention, is it necessary to include the "bsc primary (secondary)" statements? How about WITH contention?

Thanks for your input!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

You should able to run DLSw and BSTUN on the same router. As a TAC Engineer, I have seen other customers having a similar set up. Can you provide some more information on your coworker's concerns?

Regarding the "bsc primary/secondary" command, you do need both statement when you use BSTUN with NO contention, If you use contention, you do not need the statement at all. During contention mode, BSC primary and secondary are determined by the end stations dynamically. There is no permanently bsc primary and secondary.

I do have a comment on IOS level. Please move all router to at least 12.0. 11.1 is not Y2K compliant. 11.2 and 11.3 are EOE (end of engineering). You will not get software updates on 11.1, 11.2, and 11.3 software.

View solution in original post

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

There is no conflict in running DLSW and BSTUN on the same router since they operate completely separately.

On your second question, you must configure a BSC , there is no default, so you can either configure primary/secondary OR contention. Contention will only operate in pass-thru mode.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

You should able to run DLSw and BSTUN on the same router. As a TAC Engineer, I have seen other customers having a similar set up. Can you provide some more information on your coworker's concerns?

Regarding the "bsc primary/secondary" command, you do need both statement when you use BSTUN with NO contention, If you use contention, you do not need the statement at all. During contention mode, BSC primary and secondary are determined by the end stations dynamically. There is no permanently bsc primary and secondary.

I do have a comment on IOS level. Please move all router to at least 12.0. 11.1 is not Y2K compliant. 11.2 and 11.3 are EOE (end of engineering). You will not get software updates on 11.1, 11.2, and 11.3 software.

Thanks for your time. Your reply answers my query. Unfortunately, I think the objections I heard were under-informed and unsubstantiated, because the rationale was never given. This is customary when such observations are offered on hearsay or second- and third-hand. This is why I sought your input.

As for the IOS: yes, I understand the situation with our down-rev IOS. We will be addressing this as our policy is to upgrade the IOS before substantial changes can be applied. Most of our stuff is 12.1 but some parts of the enterprise have lagged. Thanks again for your input.

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

There is no conflict in running DLSW and BSTUN on the same router since they operate completely separately.

On your second question, you must configure a BSC , there is no default, so you can either configure primary/secondary OR contention. Contention will only operate in pass-thru mode.

Thank you for your time. That's what I needed!