cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need DLSW ER ?

henrybb
Level 1
Level 1

scenario 1 : pls see attached file "TWO router one 400 card.JPG".

Do I need config DLSW ER on DLSW-1 and DLSW-2 ?

scenario 2 : pls see attached file "TWO router two 400 card.JPG" .

Two AS/400 ethernet has duplicate mac-address. Of course,they resides on different VLAN. Can I config it like this:

DLSW-3 router:

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.2.19.1

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp 10.2.24.2 circuit weight 20

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp 10.2.20.1 circuit weight 10

dlsw load-balance circuit-count

DLSW-1 router:

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.2.24.2 cost 1 promiscuous

DLSW-2 router:

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.2.20.1 cost 1 promiscuous

scenario 3 : pls see attached file "two center router and remote router.JPG" .

Is it right that add DLSW ER on DLSW-3 AND DLSW-4 router based on config of scenario 2.

any comments is appreciated!

22 Replies 22

Hi Matthias ,

I am sorry that there is another quesiton.

If HSRP can provide redundancy for local SNASW,can it do same work for two cip router ?

Following is config of my cip router and DLSW is working for remote site.

source-bridge ring-group 755

source-bridge transparent 755 55 5 4

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.1.2.1 promiscuous

interface Channel1/0

no ip address

no keepalive

csna 0110 00

!

interface Channel1/1

ip directed-broadcast

no keepalive

csna 0110 00

!

interface Channel1/2

no ip address

no keepalive

max-llc2-sessions 2500

lan TokenRing 0

source-bridge 10 1 755

adapter 0 4000.0755.0025

lan TokenRing 1

source-bridge 11 1 755

adapter 1 4000.0755.0025

interface FastEthernet4/0/1

description ***sna communication****

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 4

bridge-group 4 spanning-disabled

Hi,

no, the cip requires bridging. Snasw works with hsrp because snasw does not require bridging by itself.

The question for redundancy with a cip router is first of all where are your clients?

If they are remote coming in via dlsw, you have multiple choices.

Use two cip routers and peer your remote routers directly to those two routers.

If you have to use a peer farm with more dlsw peer routers than cip routers you can configure for each dlsw peer router one separate set of channel access on the cip router. A separate lan tokenring, separate adapter, with the mac address your clients connect.

When you come in to such a router via llc2 on ethernet you have to srtlb between the ethernet and the cip.

Per source-bridge virtual-ring group you can configure exactly one srtlb statement. However you can configure multiple virtual ring groups.

So if you need to get to i.e. two dlsw peer routers per cip router you can configure a ethernet vlan for each dlsw peer and connect the dlsw peer routers and the cip routers via trunks to the ethernet switch/switches.

On each vlan you configure a unique bridge-group srtlb'ed into a single lan tokenring. Such you dont bridge anything together, there are no loops and everyone can reach the host.

However there is no real good solution for local clients.

You can connect them to either this vlan or that vlan. but not to both at a time.

You have the same problem than with snasw and ethernet when you use bridging into a dlsw router to get to the vdlc mac address. If you connect both cip routers on a common ethernet both cip routers will appear on the same ethernet advertising the same mac address, which is not allowed on ethernet.

I know that customers do it, but i also know that we have sometimes customers on the phone with really wiered problems and it turns out cleaning up those configurations fixes the problems.

One other way for local clients would be to use again snasw with hsrp and then let snasw have an upstream link. But that depends again on the type of configuration you have in your environment.

thanks...

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

Cau you give more detail about why snasw does not require bridging by itself ?

And if I am running DLSW and CIP on same router,is it right that I peer remote routers directly to those two routers to do load-balance ? For example:

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.2.19.1

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp host site CIP router 1

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp host site CIP router 2

dlsw load-balance circuit-count

dlsw timer explorer-wait-time 2

Is HSMA stable enough to be used with local CIP redundancy ?

thanks!

Hi,

your example configuration is correct.

When i say snasw does not require bridging i mean this:

The simpelst form of snasw would be a router running snasw and a ethernet interface. You define the physical ethernet interface as snasw port and you can now connect local clients to the mac address of this interface. The routers ethernet interface is not promiscuous at all, no bridging is enabled at all.

The routers interface is listening only to his own unicast mac address and broadcasts at this point.

If you need to connect a cip to the local lan you have to enable bridging, since the cip internal lan tokenring is always at least one hop away from the physcical lan.

thanks...

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

thanks for your reply.

Is HSMA stably enough to work on production enviorment ? Is there any example on real world which deployed HSMA ?

Hi,

thanks for mentioning HSMA. I completely forgot about that. I know that we have a couple of customers using it but i dont know much about the details. I have to let someone else answer to that.

thanks...

Matthias

Hi Henry,

Yes it's stable enough for production. There have been production customers for about 3 years now.

Rgds, Dan

Hi Dan,

thanks for your reply!

I will try it.