cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

double-sided vpc Nexus7K and NExus 5K

jorgefrias
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 5548UP connected to two Nexus 7k forming double sided vPC design. The 5k is acting as access layer top of the rack and 7k as aggregate. The 7k is configured with vrf contexts and vlans with vrrp.

I followed the best practices for double-sided vpc described in this document

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

I'm using the same port-channel-id and vpc-id in all 4 devices. I also have different vpc domain-ids for the N5K (domain-id:20) and N7K (domain-id:10)

All physical connectivity has been verified. I have 16-ports port-channels (8 ports on each peer)

I have also verified all vpc status: show vpc, show vpc consistency-parameters global, and everything looks good int both N5K and N7K: keepalive is alive, peer adjacency formed ok, all consistency status are success, etc

I have also checked port-channel configurations and each individual interface member of the port-channel

The problem I have is the port-channel in the N7K is no coming up and I just can't figure out why. I've checked all I can think of, and tried different things and the only way I can bring the port-channel up is if I shutdown all interfaces in the N5K connecting to the N7K except those between 5K-1 and 7K1 (primary devices) and remove the "vpc 31" command under port-channel 31

In the Nexus5K, things looks good, this is what I see when I check the status of the vpc

vPC status
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
id     Port        Status Consistency Reason                     Active vlans
------ ----------- ------ ----------- -------------------------- -----------
31     Po31        up     success     success                    14-16,24,28

However, in the N7K this is what I get. There are not consistency errors, but still the status of the port-channel is down.

vPC status
----------------------------------------------------------------------
id   Port      Status Consistency Reason                  Active vlans
--   ----      ------ ----------- ------                  ------------
31   Po31      down   success     success                    -           

sh int po31
port-channel31 is down (inactive)
admin state is up
 vPC Status: Up, vPC number: 31

Any ideas what could be wrong? has anyone experienced similar issue?

Any suggestions are welcome.

1 Reply 1

jc84_
Level 1
Level 1

Could you provide a quick diagram and the output of 'show port-channel summary' on both switches.