cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Experiencing icmp packet drops with HSRP configured

darrenlip
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded my C7206 router to IOS 12.1(21) recently. I configured Standby IP on the Fastethernet interface (note that there is no secondary router in place yet). Very frequent ICMP packets drop happens when I try to use the workstations to ping the gateway , which is the newly configured Standby IP. However, when I ping the physical IP of the Router FE interface, no packet drop is seen. Can anyone advise me?

The configuration is as follows:

interface FA0/0.4

encapsulation dot1q 100

ip address 10.10.10.2

standby 1 priority 180

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1

2 Replies 2

kcgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

The idea of HSRP works properly when you have 2 routers, thereby creating a vitual IP between 2 physical IPs. Also, you would need to HSRP to track/sense your egress interfaces, so when the active router goes into standby, there's minimal packet loss. One of reasons why you see loss of packets on the Virtual IP may be due to incomplete arp one one router..

wkumari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Chances are that this is perfectly fine. ICMP is handled with a very low priority, esp. on HSRP virtual adresses. What I would suggest is pinging someting on the other side of the router and then changing your default gateway / route from the physical interface to the HSRP address and seeing if anything changes. Pinging router interfaces to test connectivity often does not give you "correct" results.

You may also want to check the logs nad see if you are getting any HSRP state change messages....