Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX 2232 layer 3 support ?

Hi All

I see that the fex interfaces supports "no switchport" command.. I dont see any document saying that it supports pure layer 3 ? We basically have the M148 module on a N7K, and want to replace it with a FEX 2232 connected to the same 7K (for freeing up this module and use M224 or F248 instead in that slot)...

As of today we have only a few connections on M148, but few of those are layer 3 1 Gig interfaces. Can  I move them to 2232 and still have the same functionality when working with N7K?

Let me know if you need more info on this.

Raj

4 Replies 4

Ron Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raj,

We added support for routing over FEX interfaces in NX-OS 6.2(2).  You'll also need to configure DSCP to queue mapping per this URL to get it all working correctly.  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/qos/configuration/guide/nx-os_qos_book/qos_queuingf1.html#wp1145241

Note, you may need to upgrade the memory in your supervisors if you have SUP1 to run NX-OS 6.2(2) as it requires 8GB.

Ron

Why would you want to route through a FEX port? What would be a design case for this? The traffic still has to go to the parent device anyway correct?

Steven.. Yes.. it goes thro the parent device.. we are trying to offload and free up a module in N7K - M148... We just have 2 or 3 1 gig connection in M148 module and it uses up a slot in N7K..

Ron - thanks for the confirmation. is this a tested solution ? If it works , its great :)

Raj

Hello Ron,

Whats the actual Purpose of routing in Fex. From basic understanding Fex doesn't support local switching, thats why we call it Fabric extender.

In which scenario can we use layer 3 Fex.

Ashish