cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can we find the hostname of the devices connected with the interfaces of switch?

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

how can we find the hostname of the devices connected with the interfaces of switch ? I have tried mac address and ARP, there are lot of servers connected with the switch having multiples LAN cards. So mac table shows the mac of physical machine as well as virtual machines. But i want to know only the physical machines. Is there any other method to find out the IP address, hostname of the physical machines only? 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP address of the physical machines, yes.  Hostname, not unless the servers are Cisco, then NO. 

You enable IP Device tracking (both globally and at the interface level) and there's a strong chance you'll see the IP address (even static and invalid IP address).

Hello Leo Laohoo

Thanks for this information

In our network most of the Servers are not of Cisco. Some of them are Vmware machines, some are Hyper V machines, etc. 

Does IP device tracking show us only the IP addresses of the Physical Machines of the Vmware Server not of Virtual Machines?

Regards

Mukesh Kumar

Network Engineer 

Spooster IT Services

I am not sure about VMware machines. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: