cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP 10G "NC510F" NIC compatible with X2 10G tranceivers?

jdw28
Level 1
Level 1

Specifically, does anyone know if the HP 10G NIC work with Cisci X2-10G-LRM or X2-10G-SR?

-Jim

5 Replies 5

ltd
Level 1
Level 1

Jim,

according to the datasheet for that NIC (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/nc510f/index.html), it says that it is "10GBASE-SR fiber optic".

The "SR" (short range) part here is the important part. The specifications for SR are standardized - so anything that is "SR" will interoperate.

so: the Cisco "SR" part will work fin, the "LRM" won't, as LRM is a different standard.

SR optics use multimode fiber - so you'll need that.

from memory, an Cisco X2 optical module has SC connectors, the HP NIC looks to be LC connectors, so you'll need a multimode patch cable that is LC-SC - again - something that is fairly standard.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree with you they should work. However, do you know anyone who has tried such setup, which will cost us $4000 for a single connection? Just want to protect our investment.

Thanks.

-Jim

I don't know of any specific instance of that NIC as such, however both HP & Cisco are big companies, we are both committed to standards, provided both actually do meet the spec (and I have no reason to think that they wouldn't), then it will work fine.

You need to make sure you stay within the bounds of what fiber infrastructure (MM) and distances that SR optics allow - but provided you are within that, if there was any issue of it not working, you'd have either/both Cisco/HP support on the hook to make it work for you. :)

I have many servers connected in my lab using 10GbE NICs. Not that particular NIC, but plenty of them with SR optics.

cheers.

We are within the SR distance limit. We will give it a try. Thanks for the help.

Distance is as per the type of fiber, see table 1 in the datasheet at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6574/product_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: