cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IBM Blade IGSEM - Why can't my upstream ports be 'no shutdown'd on the CLI?

r-frank
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 IBM H series blade centres with 6 switches in and when I try to configure trunks to the core switches and open them up to participate in VTP and spanning-tree, the error message

"This port cannot be put in to shutdown state" but the port stays in shutdown mode.... Go figure..

Do the switches have to be configured by the Blade centre GUI before they can be managed by the CLI or does the management module have to be configured to release control?

Cheers

Rick

3 Replies 3

r-frank
Level 1
Level 1

The Answer is in the mode by which the chassis and switch is set to.

To manage the switch as a nomal access switch you need to enable 'protected mode' and not leave the switch in standard mode (Chassis AMM manged).

The process is detailed here through this document

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101034

Hi Rick,

On IBM BladeCenters, on a new install, the Management Module has the uplinks out of the switches shut down, and you can not bring them up from the switch until you enable them the first time from the Management Module GUI. As you had noted, Protected Mode can be part of this, but it does not have to be (and as part of the process of enabling Protected Mode, you have to enable the uplinks via the MM GUI).

On current MM code, enabling the uplinks is done by pointing your browser at the IP address of the MM, logging in, then on the left side, under I/I Module Tasks, select Admin/Power/Restart, then on the right hand side, scroll down until you see "I/O Module Advanced Setup", under here, select the desired module to configure, then set "External ports" to "Enabled", and click Save. At this point the uplinks on the switch will come up, and you can now control them with the normal shut/no shut commands on the switch.

HTH, Matt

Hi Matt,

Yep I was after the protected mode style of management anyway, but yes you are correct in regards to enabling external ports can be completed via the MMGUI in standard mode, without having to enable protected mode

Cheers

Rick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: