Replies

internet speed measurement

T1success
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo All

I need a software or website that i can use to monitor and determine

[1] internet speed

[2] bandwidth form one point to another.

I will appreciate your reply.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Hi!

Check out the following link for measuring you internet upload/download speed.

http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

I suppose you would need an application for measuring bandwidth from one point to another.

Hope it helps.

Please rate all posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

MRTG works great for this, and will help monitor interface statistics and keep historical data.

www.mrtg.com

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

To test your Internet Bandwidth:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/

This Mcafee speedometer will help you.

To test B/W between one point to another:

You ISP can help you in doing this. If ISP is sify means you will have online tracking of B/W utilisation and speed beteween points.

Please rate if helps.

Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks for your mail.

I am not clear with the second comment "To test B/W between one point to another:

You ISP can help you in doing this. If ISP is sify means you will have online tracking of B/W utilisation and speed beteween points."

What did u mean by "If ISP is sify means you will have online tracking of B/W utilisation and speed beteween points"

Can you please explain further.

Regards

If your just wanting to test your connection speed one of the listed sites will work fine. But if you want to set your router up to use IP/SLA to keep track of the connection between yourself and your service provider, consider using the built in IP/SLA feature in IOS. Below is an example;

!

RouterB(config)# rtr 3

RouterB(config-rtr)# type pathEcho protocol ipIcmpEcho ISP

RouterB(config-rtr)# frequency 10

RouterB(config-rtr)# lives-of-history-kept 5

RouterB(config-rtr)# buckets-of-history-kept 3

RouterB(config-rtr)# filter-for-history all

RouterB(config-rtr)# exit

RouterB(config)# rtr schedule 3 life 25

RouterB(config)# exit

!

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/ffun_c/fcfprt3/fcf017.htm#wp1012489

cratejockey
Level 1
Level 1

I saw the post mentioning MRTG. Its a great opensource product, however it can be a bear to manage. We have been using and recommending to our clients a proprietary version of MRTG called PRTG. Has a similar look and feel to WhatsUp Pro and runs on Windows. I think for 1000 sensors (1 port = 1 sensor) it costs about $600.00. They do have smaller packages and s 3 sensor free version.

We have used this in combination with FTP and line speed calculators to determine link performance with one of our client sites.

If you have any more questions ask. Its been an interesting and educational experiance.

hi cratejockey,

quote:-

"...We have used this in combination with FTP and line speed calculators to determine link performance with one of our client sites."

can share with us what line speed calculator you are using. I have tried a few of the mentioned links but the results varies... of course the d/l and u/l speed is a great deal less than what our ISP promised...

how then to justify to your management for the great difference in speed measured and guaranteed?

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

You can also use ""what's up gold "" for measuring the bandwidth and checking the status of links and many more..It is one of the best tool and some ISP's also use this tool.

Thanks,

satish

hi friend ->adam@homefederalbank.com - Network Engineer, Home Federal Bank

Can u pls explain how we will get the output of these commands -Some show or any other server or how will we determine the connectivity speed.please explain if possible.

Rajeev.S

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: