Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is Cisco SDLLC the solution to connect SDLC 2.0 end station to TCP/IP host

I work for a bank who has 500+ SNA SDLC 2.0 ATMs connected to SNA host over cisco based network using DLSw technology. We are considering replace the SNA host with a TCP/IP host.

Because of the tight migration plan, can we keep the ATMs as SNA SDLC while replacing the host with non-SNA host. I am not sure if the SDLLC is the solution.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

Sami

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Is Cisco SDLLC the solution to connect SDLC 2.0 end station

Can you tell me the model number of the new non-SNA host? All new IBM mainframes support IP and SNA.

For the moment, there is no solution for you. Once a SDLC packet reaches the router, the router will encapsulate the packet by either DLSw or STUN. Either way, the packet will be restored as non-IP when it reaches the remote DLSw or STUN peer.

There is a similar feature for BSC (BSTUN) though. It is called BIP. If you want a new feature similar to BIP, you need to work with the local sales team.

The new host is not IBM, it is Stratus Continuum 400 with HP-UX. The restriction of not talking SNA is coming from the new application, not from the new host.. Thanks.

Hi Sami,

Many (if not most) ATMs connect to what are commonly called Tandem mainframes. If this is the case in your bank, then this is possible today. When you are using a Compaq NonStop Himalaya (Tandem) mainframe, you can add software from InSession, that terminates one end of a Cisco DLSw+ connection. The following link should make this clear.

http://www.insession.com/product_briefs/ice_dlsw.pdf

Rgds, Dan

Sounds logic. Thanks for your input.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content