cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LISP with IGP assist

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone have a configuration example for enabling LISP in extended mode for only IGP assist? This would be without a mapping database. I am only asking for the LISP configuration that would allow the injection of the /32 route into EIGRP when a VM moves from DC1 to DC2. This is on Nexus 7000s.

DC1: 7009-01

interface vlan 100

IP address 10.1.1.2/24

hsrp 100

ip 10.1.1.1

DC2: 7009-02

int vlan 100

ip address 10.1.1.3/24

hsrp 100

ip 10.1.1.1

router eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255

4 Replies 4

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

I see that LISP is only supported on the M1 and F3 modules with proxy for F1/M1 combinations. The documentation mentions from time to time that LISP tunneling is in hardware on the M1 and F3. Since LISP w/ IGP assist isn't tunneling, is it supported on M2 modules? If not, shouldn't it be possible without causing undue resource utilization by doing it in software?

Hi Mark,

I am extremely sorry you felt like that. This is the first time i had a look at your post.

Technically, LISP IGP assist is not a hardware tunnel, under the hood its IGP--LISP redistribution so if you have a hardware that could support that redistribution and provide routes to M2, it should work. I dont have the configs ready yet as the feature is yet to make it on NX-OS. The last time, i heard that its been pushed a bit further.

WHat's you hardware and software config on Nexus boxes?

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thank you for replying. I didn't realize LISP w/ IGP assist wasn't available yet. That does explain why I can't find configuration examples for it.

DC1 has two N7Ks both with two M2 modules. I am running vPC on them with a separate trunk for routing. Software is 6.2(8).

DC2 has two N7ks both with one M2 and one F2e. This pair is running FabricPath. Software is 6.2(8).

OTV is used to extend the server subnets between the data centers. HSRP filtering and backdoor routed links are also configured.

Thank you,

Mark

There's a whitepaper for this at http://lisp.cisco.com/lisp_tech.html#CG (look for "LISP IGP Assist Whitepaper"). It uses ETR with MS/MR functionality.